Second Ad

Thursday, November 3, 2011

From Margaret Poole-Meyers

From: Margaret Meyers <fairhopedr@aol.com>
Date: November 3, 2011 5:47:47 PM CDT
To: "drw@hsv.k12.al.us" <drw@hsv.k12.al.us>
Subject: Lee High School name
Mr. Casey Wardynski, Ph.D.
Superintendent
Huntsville City School System

 Dear Mr. Wardynski,

I am sending you a copy of the letter sent to Ms. McCaulley.  However, this first part is just for you.  I am presently in Muscle Shoals visiting my elderly father.  While here I saw the news about the potential loss of the Lee High School name.  I saw also a brief interview with you.  It was clear that you are not from here and do not share the pride and tradition associated with Lee High School.  It is, therefore understandable that you could consider abolishing  the Lee High Name.  However, you need to realize it is much more than just the name you would be erasing.  It is many years of school pride and love of our school you would be thumbing your nose at and that makes it a personal "slap in the face" of every Lee High School alumnus.  Most educators try to promote school pride and tradition, not try to eradicate it!

The following is a copy of the letter to Ms. McCaulley:


I was surprised to be deeply disturbed and angry to hear that the new Lee High School may never come to be as there are plans to consider other names for the new school.  Frankly, I did not know I cared that much, but I do!  In fact, we are planning our high school reunion for the class of 1967.  Without a school we will be the alumni of nothing!  School spirit was something we always had in abundance!!

I know of no way to reach your heart as you have probably never experienced this personally.  However, I beg you and other members of the board to try to empathize with the Lee High School alumni.  Hopefully, trying to put yourself in our place will convince you to treat us as you would want to be treated.  

PLEASE DON'T TAKE OUR SCHOOL AWAY FROM US!


Sincerely,


Margaret Poole Meyers, MD
Lee High School Class of 1967
Hospitalist at Thomas Hospital
1685 Greenwood Ave.
Fairhope, Al. 36532

No comments:

Post a Comment